Tuesday, 5 February 2013

The Looped French Pleat with 2 Sterling Silver Hair Sticks

Introducing another way to form your French Pleat, particularly good for longer hair

I've had to look extraordinarily smart and pulled together the past few weeks for a bunch of high level, high stakes meetings.

So, I've been wearing my Top Guns of the Stone Bridge range of hair accessories:

Our Pur Sterling Silver Hair Sticks.

These sticks are seriously the business, so I thought I'd do a little video for you.

There are a couple important things I wanted to share with you.

First, if you've got quite long hair, aiming around brastrap length or longer, I'll show you a new way to form a French Pleat that is super duper easy.

I call this the Looped French Pleat.

Second, when you've got a lot of hair so that you end up with a pretty big, fat pleat (is it appropriate to say "My Big Fat Gypsy Pleat? Probably not...), I show you how to effectively use two hair sticks in a configuration that you'll need to try out for yourself.

Not only will it give you a rock solid hold - you can't have your hair falling down in the middle of a shareholder presentation now can you? - with our Pur Sterling Silver Hair Sticks it looks pretty darn ... expensive.

And classy.

Without looking flashy.

Enjoy your video!


Pur Sterling Silver Hair Stick

For more detailed instructions on using hair sticks click these links:

Hair Sticks For Summer Styles
Ballerina Bun With Hair Sticks

Visit Stone Bridge Hair Accessories to see all our hair sticks


2 comments:

  1. I really love this style and have been trying it out with my hair and plastic hair sticks (purchased from Stone Bridge). But I'm not having much luck with my it. My hair is too thick and sticks out at the side rather than holds firm to my scalp and eventually the hair sticks fall out. I'm constantly having to re-do. Is there some way of making it work for me?
    Love all the effort you put into your videos Mellisa.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Joni,

    Lovely to hear from you and thanks for your question.

    Very thick hair does cause difficulties and you'll have to adjust your technique for sticks to work for you.

    What holds your hair up is actually only the hair on the outside of the pleat. To use a stick or a fork, you are basically twisting a loop of just this hair around the stick, just like when you moor a rowboat, you have to loop your rope around a post on the dock. If that tension isn't there, the hair works its way loose and your stick falls out.

    So, thick hair needs to be longer than the average person's because it's got much further to wrap around the full volume of your hair. The ends also need to be twisted and bound up inside the pleat, otherwise there's no tension on the "loop" of hair you caught up with the stick.

    Provided your hair is long enough for this style, one important adaptation specific to thick hair, is you need to catch up your hair closer to the seam of your pleat, near your head, and not near the centre back of the pleat. You'll struggle to get the "loop" snug and secure to hold solidly for you.

    Secondly, until you get very good at putting your hair up with one stick, using a second stick helps really lock in your hair so it stays up. It's just a sort of "backup loop" which can take a little of the tension off the first stick so it doesn't have to do all the work.

    I hope this description makes sense. Keep playing with it. If you can refine your technique to suit specifically your hair, it is really worth it!

    ReplyDelete