Monday, 19 July 2010

Melissa's Olive Oil Deep Conditioning Treatment

Deep condition your hair
at almost no cost!
You can pay a lot of money for some deep conditioning treatments, but I'll let you in on an industry secret that the shampoo companies DO NOT want you to know, which is this:

The same ingredients that are in the bottle of conditioner in your shower are in one of those £10 single deep conditioning treatment packs, but with less water.

All conditioners are the same

The truth is, conditioner is conditioner. You can use more of it or less of it, but your hair can only be so conditioned.

 Any chemist in the industry will tell you the same. And conditioner pretty much does all its "conditioning" work in five minutes.

So there's no point leaving your hair all glooped up for hours on end or overnight. You will not get any more out of your conditioner for your trouble.

Anyhoo, I wanted to share with you my favourite way to get rid of my family on a sunny Saturday and that is my olive oil deep conditioning treatment.

Oil vs. Conditioner

Oil and conditioner are not the same thing. Conditioner is made up of slippery molecules that coat the outside of your hair so that the individual hairs tangle less and so get less damaged.

Conditioner is an important part of maintaining the long term health of your hair because it has a role in protecting the cuticle layer.

You oil your hair to restore a bit of moisture to it that has been stripped out by, frankly, shampooing it. Oil is not as effective as conditioner is for adding "slip" to your hair.

There are two oils that are absorbed best by human hair and that is olive oil and coconut oil. Which you choose is down to what you've got available and how you want to smell.

Can you use any other oils?

Of course you can, but they will probably be more expensive and won't be absorbed as readily as olive oil or coconut oil.

Nothing bad will happen if you use argan oil, grapeseed oil or vegetable oil. It all pretty much works fine.

Melissa's Olive Oil Deep Conditioning Treatment

So, first I tell my family that I mustn't be disturbed under any circumstances for at least an hour. Then I put on my bikini and lay out my sun towel.

Now, for the important bit. With DRY hair (because it is more absorbent) I pour a bit of cheap olive oil in my hands, and work it all through my hair, but especially the ends.

I like to get my hair really coated throughout in oil, but you don't have to do this. If you have straight hair, you may just want to oil the lower half of your hair only.

Then, I concentrate on lying in the sun for as long as I can get away with.

When you're all done relaxing, go shampoo out the oil twice through and condition as normal. Your hair should feel wonderful after this.


Did you find this article helpful?

Don't miss a single article! Subscribe to the Stone Bridge email list to learn styling tricks and hair care secrets along with how to use nice looking hair clips to have spectacularly sophisticated hair every single day.

(Don't worry! You can always unsubscribe later. I hate spam too.)

Click here to start learning more cool stuff about your hair


4 comments:

  1. Anonymous4/27/2011

    Hi Melissa. Thanks for the information and advice. How often would you do the oil treatment? Every week? Every three months?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! Thanks for the question. How often you choose to oil your hair depends entirely on how porous and how dry your hair is. Oiling too often will weigh your hair down and make it, well, oily. If you shampoo the full length of your hair frequently (which I don't recommend - sign up for my free Healthy Hair article series at Stone-Bridge.co.uk to read more) then you will need to oil more frequently. As a curly girl, I probably slap the olive oil on every three or four months. It's messy and can wreck your clothes so you don't want to do it all the time! I hope this helps and thank you for taking the time to comment. I appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous7/27/2012

    Someone told me once that to wash it out you must apply the shampoo before wetting your hair

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment!

      Generally speaking, detergents work better in literally a wet environment and shampoo is designed to be used in combination with water.

      Without this dilution, 1. you won't get such good distribution of your shampoo through your hair, and 2. the detergent will over-strip all the work you've done by oiling your hair in the first place.

      So, in principle, yes to get oil out of your hair it would be more efficient to use shampoo "neat". But then what would be the point of having spent your afternoon oiling your hair if you wanted to take all of it straight out again?

      What you want to achieve is removing oil from the topmost surface of the cuticle, but preserving a fraction that has been allowed to soak deeper into your hair.

      For this, I would shampoo as normal, no more than twice through, rinsing well.

      However, you get to know the best routine specifically for your hair by trial and error. So, just give it a go!

      Thanks for your comments. I appreciate it!

      Delete