Monday, 12 July 2010

The Latest Celebrity Hair Care Craze ...

Is it Magic or Just Another Way to Part You From Your Money? You Decide.

Wow. Another new way to get rid of frizz is the incredible Moroccanoil. Apparently beloved (and I don't doubt it) by Miley Cyrus, Nicole Kidman and Jennifer Lopez - hair experts all three, right?

The magic ingredient in Moroccanoil products is Argan oil. Now, argan oil is neat stuff. It tastes great, it smells nice, it is nice to put in your homemade skincare products or homemade soap. And it's expensive, as oils go.

But for 100ml of Moroccanoil you're going to pay about £30. To buy a beautifully packaged 100ml bottle of pure argan oil, it comes to £12. If you're not so fussy about the bottle, I found one for £9.99.

Moroccanoil try to help you get over the sticker shock by saying a little of their product goes a long way. I'm sure it does. All oil goes a long way in hair.

But why put argan oil on your hair? On a salad, it's divine. On your skin, I can understand. But your hair? Your hair doesn't benefit from vitamins or antioxidants being rubbed into it. It's dead material.

If you need to moisturise your hair, olive oil does the job brilliantly, and the cheap stuff is better than the extra virgin. Tesco's brand sells at £1 for 250ml. The bottle won't look so pretty on your bathroom counter, true, but the money will feel nice in your pocket!

In my next post, I'll share my favourite deep conditioning method using olive oil.

If you found this tip interesting, sign up for my healthy hair series of articles. Learn how to get the best out of your hair without spending one penny more on it. Don't believe me? Read these comments, just three out of hundreds of women who have made small changes to their hair care routines and now have healthier, better behaving hair.

Visit Stone Bridge for hair clips you'll love.

2 comments:

  1. Interesting article. I've been using Moroccanoil for the past 9 months now, and I have noticed a great difference to my hair. I have relaxed afro hair and I find it does not weigh down the hair, it provides moisture without the greasy appearance. Brillant to use on both wet and dry hair. I also use it in my relaxer and colour tint for extra moisture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It felt smooth, light and soft on my hands and the flavour was quite appealing when my coiffeur gave me a chance to test. Looking at the ingredients this is no surprise: It's composed of three different silicone oils (Cyclopentasiloxane, Dimethicone, Cyclomethicone) and some perfums (Butylphenyl Methylpropional in a higher amount than Argan oil). So this is silicone oil flavoured by Argan oil and other matters and not suitable for me since I prefer natural cosmetics.

    ReplyDelete